Theme Notebook

Thursday, February 17, 2011

FRIM

The 7a team went on a field trip to the FRIM (Forest Research Institute Malaysia). We got there by bus and stayed there for one night. We slept in tents and avoided leeches (some people were not very good at this). At the FRIM we did a humanities activity based on 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins. We needed to use information and things in order survive the activity. We also had to perform skits/presentations in order to get bonus stuff (luckily we didn't have time for this). The things we wanted were the: First aid kit, mosquito net, sleeping bag, mirror, and twine. The first aid kit to heal injuries, the mosquito net to protect ourselves from insects and to make traps, the sleeping bag for sleeping and for protection, the mirror for signaling and fire starting, and the twine for climbing trees and traps.

The people in my group were Jinatta, Tim, Marie, and myself. We had chosen a spot near another group but with a tree in between us for protection. We had also dragged a fallen branch to make it harder for other groups to reach us. We left the other two side of the camp open so we wouldn't get trapped in our own camp. The camp was quite high up so it would be easier to defend. What also made a difference for us is that we were chosen to be the career tributes. This means that as of birth we were trained to kill and and the best training there was. This upped our chances of survival significantly. This also meant that we got to choose our stuff first. According to the rules we were also supposed to put up a performance for bonus materials. When it appeared that we didn't have time to perform, some groups were mad, but we on the other hand were quite happy. We hadn't thought of a performance and weren't looking forward to making fools of ourselves. Even if we had though of something we still wouldn't be looking forward to it, because we would still make fools of ourselves. So we were happy about not having to do it. I thought the game was perfectly fair. I got to choose first, get almost all of our supplies, my group was made the careers, our survival chances were upped, and my group survived. It was perfectly fair (or perfectly unfair in my advantage).

The best three things about the trip to me were the bonfire, the capture-the-flag game, and the hikes. The bonfire because I simply like fire, the capture-the-flag game, because we played the game in the forest and that made the game a lot more fun, and the hikes, because I like nature and I just simply like hiking. The worst things about the trip were having to worry about leeches all the time (luckily it paid of, and I didn't get bitten), the noisy neighbors, and Mr Peavy's bad mood. I didn't like having to worry about leeches because it is very annoying, but I guess I will just have to let that go, because it is part of going to a rain forest. The noisy neighbors because they made it hard for me to sleep and woke me up early. The noisy neighbors and noisy teammates eventually led to another bad thing about the trip, Mr Peavy's bad mood. Mr Peavy's bad mood wasn't exactly making my horrible morning any better. I had seriously never seen him this mad. He shouted in our faces and made us clean the camp before having breakfast. Once I was done doing my bit, he put me on toilet duty! Luckily the toilets weren't that filthy, but seriously, how low can you go? Besides, what did I do to deserve it? I wasn't the one being disrespectful to the guides, I wasn't the one who stayed up 'till one o'clock in the morning screaming, I wasn't the one who woke up at 4:30 in the morning, I wasn't the one messing around on the monkey bars! What did I do to deserve it?

No comments:

Post a Comment