
Besides that my name looks and sounds weird, its meaning is also unusual. Roemer is a Frisian name. For those who don't know Friesland is a part of The Netherlands. Friesland has its own language and also its own set of names. Roemer came from the Frisian name Romer. Roemer only without the first e. Romer came from the ancient Germanic word meaning famous for his skill. The part which says that I'm skilled I get, but the famous, no. Saying that I'm famous or popular is like saying that Bill Gates is the dumbest person on the planet. I do kind of hope that I will end up rich and famous, though I don't really look forward being mobbed by fans every time
I go around the corner, because of my popularity. The good part that its probably not going to happen.
My middle name suits me well half of the time. Quirijn came from the Quirinus. A Sabine word meaning spear. Quirinus was also a person in Sabine mythology. He was the god of war. He later got some association with the Roman god of war, Mars. The thing is I am quite a peaceful person, OK, I know, I love explosions, and sometimes I wish I could just punch someone who really annoyed me in the face. But I don't. I am not the type of person who goes around the school punching people's faces in. In fact, that would be the last thing I would want to do. I admit that sometimes I hurt someone by accident, and sometimes its by "accident", if you know what I mean.
The name of Faber also fits me. Faber is a Latin word meaning, Artisan who works with raw materials (a blacksmith for instance). Faber can also mean skillful or ingenious. Now I personally like the last two definitions. I mean you should really see some of the crazy, but great ideas, I make up when I'm writing/typing up stories. The other definitions also fit me though. Artisans are good with their hands and at making stuff. I can kind of relate to that because I am
As you can imagine there are some downsides to my name, but also some upsides. What I hate about my name is that people can't pronounce or spell it right. What I love about my name is that people can't spell or pronounce it right. Sometimes it can be just plain hilarious watching people trying to say or write my name. For instance, when I first tell someone my name they think that I'm called Robert, Romeo, or even Rodent, and Roman. Now seriously, who would call their kid Roman, I mean, I'm not even Italian, or who would call their kid Rodent, seriously. When people try to spell my name it get even funnier. Here are some examples of variations of my names spelling; Romer, Roamer, Rhomer, and, Roma. Sometimes all of that is funny and sometimes it, as you can probably imagine, gets on my nerves. I do have to admit that my name is kind of the weird one among the normal, and that I do understand the mistakes people make, but still, who in the world would call their kid Rodent.
The story behind my name is probably weirder than the name itself (yes, I know, its possible). The story behind my last and middle name aren't that weird, it mainly the story behind my first name. The story behind my last name you can probably all guess, I got it from my dad. As far as my middle name is concerned, I was named after my Mom's dad. Now for the weirdest story of them all; My dad never remembers his dreams, never. Except for one time, when my mom was pregnant. In the dream my dad had a son. The son was called Roemer (now why does that name sound familiar?). My dad told my mom about the dream and they decided that if they got a son, his name would be Roemer. Anyway they got a son, my dad's dream became reality, end of story. I do admit that the fact that Roemer was a dutch name helped, otherwise it may have caused family issues and then my parents wouldn't have chosen the name.
picture from: http://www.jannarthusbertrand.org/v2/home_us.htm.
Very pleasing writing. Your voice comes through loud and clear, you 'talk' to the reader and joke along with them, which is an effective connection to make and adds to the fluency of your writing. Your pacing is also good, you don't go into minute detail (boring!) but you do slow down the interesting parts, which is also effective. I liked the image and the metaphor of the lonely, wandering nomad, and I would have liked you to have done more with that in your writing. I also thought there was a great connection between your surname and the coloring pencils company - your personality and name are vivid and bright and you could have played with that idea. To end on the dream was cute. Some shorter sentences would have added impact. You like long sentences!
ReplyDelete